21 May 2014

BBC's Sherlock Holmes

          I know I'm a little late on this, but I just found out a pretty good TV series-- BBC's Sherlock Holmes.  Seeing that I don't watch that much tv I don't really obsess over tv shows I only really obsessed over Agents of SHIELD-- however, I can't obsess over Sherlock. In fact I don't exactly like Sherlock's character (pardon me friends who are huge fans...).  This newest portrayal of Sherlock stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman as Holmes and Watson.
       

        Most would ask me why I don't like Sherlock's character-- I could answer very clearly (since I had to tell my brother my reasons--he didn't like Cumberbatch's Sherlock compared to Downey's).  Cumberbatche's Sherlock is way too rude.  I know, I know.  "Holmes is a natural odd character that doesn't think of feelings" -- but then again, I think that since he always obsesses (there I go using the word obsess again...) over doing things the proper way, I feel like he would treat those around him with a little more dignity.  One of my friends argued that, "He doesn't try to be rude... he's just a 'high functioning sociopath'-- it doesn't give him the right to be rude, but that's just his TV character."  Okay, I can see that, but still he's not my favorite.
           However, this does not make my full opinion of the series.  I do like Freeman's Watson--not as good as Jude Law's-- but still he's cool.  Second, I like the Lestrade in this series-- although the one in the movies has more character.
           Still, I can not judge this series very well since I have only seen the first season (3 episodes in all)  But I like most of what I've seen, and I like what I've heard from friends.  One point of interest is that it is set in modern times-- which almost threw me off at first.
          However, unlike the Warner Bros. films starring Robert Downey Jr. this show seems almost more in Sir Doyle's time than the former.  It (so far) hasn't contained all those huge explosions etc. and seems more like a Agatha Christie, without so much tense murdering.
          Then again, this is just my depiction of the first season.  I should have an updated review once I watch more.

          Have you seen any of BBC's Sherlock?  What do you think of it?  Do you recommend it to everyone?  Have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment on my blog. I enjoy your input, and try to reply to each comment!

2