26 May 2014

DIY Potato Stamp T-Shirt

          I wanted a fun and easy craft to do with my friend for our sleepover, and looking on Craft Gawker (it's ike Pinterest) found many different potato stamp t-shirts.  However, most of them were very simple designs such as kitten heads-- I decided to try something more intricate and see if I could succeed with only a potato stamp.  Here I will guide you through the steps so you can make your own intricate potato stamp t-shirt.


         You will need to begin by collecting the following items, and picking out a template.  A way to do this is search google images with the following: the name of your desired object clip art, or the name of your desired object silhouette.









Begin by carefully cutting out your picture.












Then place cut out picture on top of half potato. (you can cut it vertically or horizontally depending on how large your image is.)













Now trace the template with your sharpie.  Be careful not to rip the paper, and make sure the picture stays in one place the whole time.










Now this part is tricky (especially with my template...) Be very patient, and don't try to hurry this part.  No, it won't take hours, but just make sure you don't get a part that doesn't need to be cut, cut.













Continue to cut, making a stamp like object out of your potato--since it is a potato stamp ^.^











Once you are finished with that step, make sure that the stamp is deep enough.  That way you don't end up with paint on the non-stamp part.











Next lay your t-shirt out on a flat surface and place a piece of cardboard underneath.  Why the cardboard?  It keeps the paint from seeping through to the other side of the shirt.













Now squeeze your fabric paint onto some type of disposable plate.  Even some extra cardboard would work!











Take your Sponge and cover your potato stamp with the paint.  I don't have a picture of this part because it was way to hard for me to paint and take a picture-- anyway, I think this part is pretty straightforward ^.^










And there you are.  The first stamping!  Continue to stamp all over the shirt wherever you want-- I didn't have any particular order, and mine turned out pretty well.














This is Bertha, the potato lady Andrea made ^.^











Here we are (Andrea and I)-- trust me, this craft is much better made with a friend ^.^



Check out my photoshoot of this DIY here, and check out the rest of my blog!
Have a great day!


3 comments:

  1. I love it! I'll have to try. :)

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cool idea!
    I've seen celery stamps before, but I don't think I've ever seen a potato stamp!

    xo sarah <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo! Celery stamps? I have never done those. I'll have to try and see which I like better ^.^

      ~Katrina

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment on my blog. I enjoy your input, and try to reply to each comment!

2