04 May 2014

The Book Thief


          For my birthday Olivia bought me The Book Thief book and movie.  Last night we watched the movie, and I thought I could do a small review on it.
          First of all Death is the narrator, which I found, to say the least, strange.  Still, I think it was an interesting way to tell the story of Liesel Meminger.  Without giving away the plot I can say this much: Liesel finds two friends in her town.  These friends are Rudy Stiener, and Max Vandenburg.  As the story progressed her friendships with these two grew, as well as her knowledge of reading; something she did not posses when she arrived in Molching.
          I had one concern of the movie's portrayel of Hebrew religion.



Max, who was a Jew explained to Liesel that, "In my religion we're taught that every living thing, every leaf, every bird, is only alive because it contains the secret word for life.  That's the only difference between us and a lump of clay.  A word.  Words are life, Liesel."  Although some may not think twice about this quote, I think it is a poor representation of Hebrew religion.  Yes, words bring life.  However, the movie failed to mention whose words bring life.  Then again, you can't expect a 21st Century movie to truthfully explain what Jews and Christians believe, can you?
         Now, I'm not condemning the whole movie.  I just didn't like that part very much ;)
The rest of the movie amazingly showed life in Germany during the war.  


Full of love and heartbreak The Book Thief was a touching movie that I reccommend.
       





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment on my blog. I enjoy your input, and try to reply to each comment!

2