07 June 2014

The Fault in Our Stars: Book


So after a couple months of Andrea telling me I absolutely needed to read this book, my sister bought it.  Once she read it, she too was telling me that I absolutely needed to read the book.  So I did-- although I wouldn't recommend this book to just anyone out there, I know a lot of people who would enjoy it as much as I did.



          The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is a complicated novel.  Seriously.  It has so many twists and turns in everything that when I finished reading (which was literally five minutes ago...) I just sat and thought... for five minutes (because I knew I should write my thoughts down since I had wanted to write a review on it anyway).  It is one of the most thought provoking love stories, and although this book kept me interested (I did, like most people, enjoy reading it) I had a couple problems with it.
          Now for those of you who don't know anything about this book (which could happen even though this is super popular right now... at least with people I know) I can give a summery.  Hazel, our main character, has cancer in her lungs.  She (by her mother's pleas) attends a weekly cancer support group.  Through this group she meets a boy named Augustus Waters, who although he does not have cancer, attended the support group with his half blind friend Isaac.  Obviously the two fall in love and so on and so forth, but their teenage romance goes too far at one point, and they spoke "bad language" a little too often... although not as often as the war hardened soldiers in Band of Brothers (check out my post on it here).
          As I said I have some problems with the book.  These being the excessive use of God's name in vain and other profanities.  No, I'm not being a goody-goody, but I take this kind of stuff seriously!  Also there were some un-needed scenes which I believe will probably be worse in the movie (I still wanna watch it though..).  So yes.  It was a great book, but I would have changed stuff I had been able to.
          Despite the fact that John Green says he is a Christian, I don't quite agree with much of his theology (if that's would you would call it...).  For one, his characters never really make themselves clear on what exactly they believe about God exept that they either believe in Something with a capital S, or nothing at all but oblivion.
        Now on to the characters.  I did love their loyalty to each other and also how Agustus and Hazel were not the type of couple who ignored others.  Even though they were totally in love with each other, they still noticed, were aware of, and in fact cared about those around them (Isaac being one of those people).  I also liked how through most of the book both characters were very respectful of their's and each other's parents.  I love how Hazel and Agustus interact-- and that they analyze books together and stuff!  That's great ^.^
        I'm not good at conclusions about books... I guess I just have different points and thoughts and not a whole thought all together.  I did like it, but as I said would have changed a bit if I had been able to.  However I would recommend this book only to those who are mature and also know what they believe.  Sometimes it was hard to distinguish what John Green believed and what his characters did-- not that he didn't believe the same things as his characters, but it was just confusing as to what exactly they both believed.  So yes, it was a good book, but not exactly my favorite.

What are your thoughts on The Fault in Our Stars?  Have you read it, or are you just thinking about reading it and haven't found the time?  Let me know your thoughts!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment on my blog. I enjoy your input, and try to reply to each comment!