15 November 2014

Thanksgiving/Autumn Leaf Decor

          Hello all!  Today I have a little tutorial for you: one for thanksgiving if you celebrate that, or just for fall decorations.  I know many places (such as where I live) already have snow, so these could be a little late, however, if you don't have snow, or just for next years decorations, here is a little tutorial on what I did to decorate part of my room.
         
          First I collected around 20-25 different leaves, two or three from each different tree in the woods, and I brought them inside.  I then took mod podge and a paint brush and slathered the mod podge all over the top side of each leaf and let them dry, for around two hours.  You don't have to let them dry that much if you don't want though :)  I turned them over and did the same thing to the other side.

       
          Next I put them inside my leave presser... aka the 1980s dictionary that I have in my room.  After letting them sit in there overnight I carefully took them out (making sure not to rip the pages in case the mod podge was not fully dry)  And then I put another layer of mod podge on, just to make sure they were fully sealed.
          I had tried sticking them on my walls with masking tape (or painter's tape), however the mod podge didn't quite stick with that.  Then I decided to try sticky tack, which did work quite well.  One thing I noticed however, was that the layer of mod podge would peal off if I tried to take it from the leaves.  So if you want to use the sticky tack for something else, you must be really careful while taking off from the leaves, or just re-mod podge them.  Here is what the finished wall looked like.




          I hope this helps and that you can use this either for thanksgiving decoration, or next years fall!  Have a wonderful day!

post signature

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea, this looks really nice. :)
    Amy xx

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cool idea! I'm going to try it next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I'm definitely doing this next year! =D

    Have a wonderful Christmas!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! I would love to see how they turn out!

      ~Katrina

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment on my blog. I enjoy your input, and try to reply to each comment!