07 February 2015

Avocado and Fried Egg Breakfast Pita Recipe

     We all have those days where there seems to be nothing to make food with, and yet you are the hungriest you've been in a while.  At least I think we all have those days ;)
I had that day yesterday.  We really did not have much to make food with (no bread, no rice... I know, there's more to food than carbs... we also didn't have anything for salads and no more apples either!)  So what I saw on our counter was two ripe avacados... and we had eggs in the fridge.  And then for some weird reason we had pita bread.  So I looked up "Egg Pita Bread Recipe" and found the below wonderful (did I mention healthy?) recipe!


Recipe Source
Ingredients

1 piece whole wheat pita bread
1 Hass avocado
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp butter
1 organic egg
kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Instructions

Toast the pita bread in a toasted over for 3-4 minutes until just crisp. Remove from the toasted over and set aside.
Cut the avocados in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin, and transfer the avocado flesh to medium bowl. Using a fork, mash the avocado until it’s half chunky and half smooth. Add the lemon juice and mix to combine and set aside.
Place the butter in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and cook until the butter is melted.
Crack the egg into a small bowl, making sure to be gentle and leave the yolk in one piece.
Slide the cracked egg into the hot skillet and reduce the heat to low. Cook the egg until the egg whites are fully cooked and the yolk is slightly cooked, but still running. You just want the yolk to thicken a touch. Turn the heat off and sprinkle the egg with salt and pepper.
Place the pita onto a plate. Slather the avocado mixture on top of the pita and then carefully transfer the egg on top of the avocado.
Serve immediately

The only thing I did different than the recipe said, was a). I didn't really measure the lemon... I just squeezed it in, and b). I cracked my yolk so that it would cover more of the pita/avacado.  Although it is delicious this way, I think it could use some kind of herb... so if any of you make it and put herbs in, let me know!  I would love to see what variations of this recipe could be made :)
Have a wonderful day!

post signature

12 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing ♥
    Amy xx

    Perfect Imperfections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it!? It was really yummy ^.^

      ~Katrina

      Delete
  2. Oooh! This looks yummy! I love pitas.

    xoxo Morning
    http://theworldthroughmywindowsill.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Pita bread is so great :)

      ~Katrina

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious! I really want to start using more avocado in meals and this is a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, yes! Avocado is the best!

      ~Katrina

      Delete
  4. I've just found your blog and I think it's really inspiring, it will be an honor for me if you can visit mine too, and if you want to follow, it will be a pleasure to follow you back! :) <3

    By the way I am having a cute giveaway on my blog, you can win a lollipop necklace, I hope you join and If you do, good luck, I hope you win! <3

    Fashion gets Fierce.
    Fashion gets Fierce Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice blog, Inês! Followed you :)

      ~Katrina

      Delete
  5. Oh, wow this looks delicious! I think I'm going to have to try it :) Avocados are so delicious!
    Love your blog, it's so lovely!
    -Lauren <3
    lovingourcreator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! I checked out your blog and followed!

      ~Katrina

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment on my blog. I enjoy your input, and try to reply to each comment!

2