13 March 2015

How to Write Essays with Writer's Block


     How I write essays is a truely interesting process.  I don't mind writing, but I can't say I absolutely love or hate it because it really depends on what I am writing.  Essays, being something I write often in the school year, also have their ups and downs in my love/hate category.  First off it always takes me a super long time to figure out what I want to write, and then it goes longer from there.
     I thought today (with spring/springfever coming in and all) I would share some of my tips and tricks to writing essays easily and quickly.
   
     Getting prepared-
     When I start to write a paper I usually get a couple of things and a comfy window seat to write in.  I collect my writing notebook, a pencil, possibly a red pen (in case I want to underline important sentence or such), my iPod (for music/dictionary etc.), Water, some cut up fruit.  Okay, I realize water and cut-up fruit as well as the iPod are not must need things.  However, they help me since I always find myself needing a snack when I write (and water is always good).  You could also use your computer instead of an iPod, or a radio-- whatever works best for you!

The Writing Process-

  1. Mindmap - 
    Depending on the project I like to use mindmaps.  These are simple little "webs" of connecting thought.  I generally use these when I only have random thoughts in my brain, and I am trying to figure out how to connect them.
  2. Brainstorming -
    I cannot stress how important brainstorming is to me.  Seriously.  This is how the magic happens... although it is not very magical ;)  Depending on the subject I will either write down my thoughts in different bullet points, or in a specific research type essay I will write down a source's link, and then put bullet points of what I found interesting/what I want to go back to in that article.  Then when I write my essay I have all my sources, with what I want to find/quote right there on my brainstorming notebook page!
  3. Outline -
    Outlines, like brainstorming, are super important.  (yeah I know.  That's super obvious... you probably learned that you needed outlines when you were in 3rd grade writing reports about animals.)  What I like to do with my outline is to skip the introduction paragraph (unless I know what I'm writing for that) and go straight into my first body paragraph.  I usually look over my brainstorming page and try and figure out a rough structure for the paper.
  4. Writing-
    When I write I alway am very picky.  I cannot write not picky.  Still, my writing teacher tells us everyother week or so that we need to just write write write, and not be technical.  This does not work for me, however so I try hard to write without being picky so that I can just get my thoughts out.  
I hope this helps you all!  Let me know what helps you to write too!


post signature

8 comments:

  1. This is so helpful, I really struggle with writers block. Thank you for sharing ♥
    Amy xx

    Perfect Imperfections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this helps, Amy!

      ~Katrina

      Delete
  2. Usually, I also treat myself with tea and sweets when writing - and I tidy up my desk a bit, too ... because mess can make me a bit distracted ...
    But, great post! I'll try it when I write my next post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aisyah, I so forgot about the clean environment! Thanks for the comment! I totally agree :) I was going to say that I usually treat myself when I am done, but have water and fruit or something to get me through the writing process ;)
      Let me know how it works!

      ~Katrina

      Delete
  3. Thank you for these tips...I always get so sidetracked when I'm writing essays, or I get super bad writers block! So thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lauren!
      Thank you so much for commenting! Writers block is the worst. Especially when writing essays for a school assignment :/ I hope these tips help you! Let me know if they do :)

      ~Katrina

      Delete
  4. You have an awesome blog! Keep up the great work!

    ~Racic | Washed by the Water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Racic! I checked your blog, and love it! I'm the new follower :)

      ~Katrina

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment on my blog. I enjoy your input, and try to reply to each comment!

2