24 April 2015

"There's You In Everything I Do"


In my last post I mentioned writing something about music.  So, since one of my main focuses in this post will be Country Music, I decided to make a country-ish collage :)  Anyway, here goes for the actualy post ;)

Music is a staple of life.  It has been a part of life since forever, and will continue to be a part until eternity.  But what really is music?  Is it simply the combination of singing and instruments?  Or is there something more to it?  Meaning?  A sense of nostalgia?

Music is more than just a talented voice or a fun beat.  It speaks to the soul in more ways that a person could imagine.

Often times I will like a song solely for its tune-- not that this is wrong!-- all I am saying is a lot of the time I won't pay attention to the lyrics, and then become desensitized to what I am hearing.

One example would be Bastille's songs.  Their music is really interesting, however, after listening closely to the lyrics I noticed how depressing many of their songs are.  Imagine Dragons on the other hand has both upbeat and meaningful lyrics in their songs.

A favorite song of theirs is I Bet My Life-- yes, it is pretty popular right now, but for a reason!  At first it sounded like a love story, but I read somewhere that the lead singer wrote it as a tribute to his parents.

"There's you in everything I do"

When we grow up, the influences around us impact us more than we know.  And with something as influential as music, we have to watch what we let influence, because we are going to see it in ourselves-- and it will become a reflection of who we are.

So what about country music?  What's so bad about it?  Or what's so good?  I used to hate it because it always sounded either like the person's life was ending-- their girl left them, their Chevy truck broke down, or got stuck in the mud, or their dog just died.  I believed this strongly until this year when not only my brother continually listened to Country, but also my best friend.  Literally, she almost exclusively listens to Country... and since we shared music in study hall, I slowly began to like country music more, and it became more of a part of me.

So what am I saying?  That everything we watch or listen to has to have an anylised meaning?  No, although if it does have meaning-- Walk the Moon's new popular song "Shut up and Dance with Me" doesn't necessarily have a deep meaning.  Yet, it is a fun song, that will not drag us down spiritually either.  

Here is a list of some of my favorite songs, by category :)
And believe me, if you start listening to country... you just might get hooked!

Country                                                              Pop/Alternative/Whatever You Want to Call It
Life is a highway || Rascall Flatts                       Polaroid || Imagine Dragons
I love this life || LoCash Cowboys                        Budapest || George Ezra
Why don't we just dance || Josh Turner               Thinking outloud || Ed Sheeran
Country || Mo Pitney                                          Haven't met you yet || Michael Buble 

Also, if you are interested, some of my favorite artists include, Swtichfoot, Coldplay, OneRepublic,

So what are your favorite songs/artists?  And, what are your thoughts on Country?



post signature

12 comments:

  1. I agree. Music is the constant in the messy confusion that is life. I've been loving Budapest recently. You have good music taste because ONE REPUBLIC <3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Jo! And thanks :) One republic is great! I really like their song Good Life as well :)

      ~Katrina

      Delete
  2. This is such a great post! I've never really got into country music, but some of my friends have, and I think that it's really interesting ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, thanks for commenting! You should really check out those country songs I wrote about, and let me know what you think!

      ~Katrina

      Delete
  3. Music. I haven't had time enough to refine my tastes in music, but I like OneRepublic, Taylor Swift, Jamie Grace, American Authors, The Piano Guys, Disney, David Crowder, and Thaikovsky. Pretty everywhere, huh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yeah! The piano guys are pretty great! And as for Taylor Swift... Some of her stuff is annoying to me, although I do like Blank Space. Oh and I love classical music as well, although I have to be in the mood if you know what I mean :) thanks so much for commenting!

      ~Katrina

      Delete
  4. Music is beautiful. I cannot go a day without listening to it♡
    Have you ever listened to RAIGN or Lorde? They're great. Also, imagine dragons *hyperventilating* I LOVE THEM!!!!
    George Ezra is cool. I love Cassy O' and Budapest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cindy! Thanks for commenting!
    Yeah! I've heard Lorde before, but I'm not sure if I've listened to RAIGN. I also am going to listen to Cassy O right now because I don't think I've heard it before!

    ~Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have come to love country (granted, not all of it!) because often they have deep meaning. I like the sound and beat of pop, but that music can be so shallow. I've found country to actually have feeling, like a story behind it. One of the my favorite artist's right now is Hunter Hayes; country enough to be country, but his music has some rock beats in it too. You should check him out. Also, I love OneRepublic's song, I Live. (I think that's the name of it.) =)

    Great post! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes. Hunter Hayes. He is my best friend's favorite, and I also love someof his songs! And OneRepublic's I Lived is pretty great as well! THanks for commenting!

      ~Katrina

      Delete
  7. Hey! Maybe it's weird but I really like songs from 60's.. this music is so positive! "Come go with me" (the del vikings) always makes me smile :) I must check out your favorite country songs..
    xo, Laura from Poland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura!
      Thanks so much for commenting. I agree-- much of the music from the 60s is very positive, and I actually enjoy much of the music from 60s (come on, the Beatles!) through the 80s (Journey and Boston :)

      ~Katrina

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to comment on my blog. I enjoy your input, and try to reply to each comment!